C-TRAN, in accordance with the Department of Transportation Americans with Disabilities Act regulations at 49 C.F.R § 37.125(h) for ADA complementary paratransit service, has developed a no-show policy to encourage responsible trip scheduling and use by its riders. C-TRAN understands riders may sometimes miss scheduled rides or forget to cancel rides for reasons beyond their control. However, repeatedly missing scheduled and subscription trips or failing to cancel any scheduled trip at least one hour in advance can lead to temporary suspension of paratransit services.
Definitions of a No-Show
The pick-up window is defined as the scheduled pick-up time and up to 30 minutes after the scheduled pick-up time. For example, if a ride is scheduled for 9:15 a.m. then the pick-up window would be from 9:15 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. Vehicle arrival within the pick-up window is considered an on-time pick-up. Riders should be ready to board the vehicle at any time during the pick-up window. As a reminder, a vehicle arriving in the pick-up window will only wait five minutes for the rider to board.
A no-show occurs when the rider fails to appear and board the vehicle for a scheduled trip. This definition presumes that the vehicle has arrived at the scheduled pick-up location during the pick-up window and the Operator has waited at least five (5) minutes for the rider to appear for vehicle boarding. Additionally, a no-show is issued when a rider cancels their trip less the one (1) hour before the scheduled pick-up time (at the start of the pick-up window.)
Additional definitions of a no-show includes any of the following situations:
- A trip cancellation made less than one (1) hour before the scheduled pick-up time;
- A trip cancellation made at the scheduled pick-up location when the vehicle arrives within the pick-up window, also known as canceling at the door; and
- The rider refuses to board the vehicle after it has arrived within the pick-up window.
When a No-Show Does Not Count
C-VAN does not count no-shows or any missed trips due to an administrative error, such as:
- Trips placed on the pick-up schedule in error or scheduled at the wrong pick-up location or time;
- Vehicles arriving and departing before or after the pick-up window; and
- Vehicles arriving within the pick-up window but departing without waiting the required five (5) minutes. Note: C-TRAN uses an Automated Vehicle Location (AVL) system to track and to monitor paratransit vehicles; in a dispute, the AVL is used to determine arrival and wait times.
C-VAN does not count any missed trips due to situations beyond the rider’s control preventing them from notifying us their trip cannot be taken, such as:
- Medical or family emergencies, sudden illnesses, or changes in the physical condition of the rider; or
- Appointments that run unexpectedly late without sufficient notice.
Riders should contact Customer Service at (360) 695-8918 as soon as possible when experiencing circumstances beyond their control.
C-VAN will honor all subsequent scheduled or subscription trips after a no show; if Customer Service is called and the rides are requested at 360-698-8918. Riders should cancel ALL trips they do not intend to take at least one (1) hour prior to the scheduled pick-up time. Trips can be cancelled at any time by calling (360) 695-8918. If calling after normal business hours, the rider can cancel through the automated system, called Ride Reminder using their client identification number and password. If you need your client identification number and password, a Customer Service Representative can supply them for you.
No-Show Monitoring and Rider Notification Procedures
C-VAN reviews all no-show trips for each day to ensure accuracy. Each verified no-show consistent with the policy is given one penalty point. Penalty points accumulated each quarter may result in a suspension of service. At the beginning of each new quarter, all penalty points accrued in the previous quarter are removed. Quarters are considered as: January–March, April–June, July–September and October–December.
Riders are subject to a suspension when their no-show accumulations meet the following conditions:
- Accumulate three (3) penalty points in one quarter;
- Have received a no-show warning letter stating the three (3) penalty points; and
- Have no-showed at least 10% of their completed trips.
All suspension notices include a copy of this Policy and information on disputing no-shows and how to appeal suspensions. A service suspension begins on the date stated in the suspension notice and lasts for seven (7) calendar days.
- The third violation in a quarter triggers a warning letter but no suspension. Subsequent violations result in the following suspensions:
- Fourth violation: seven (7) calendar day suspension;
- Sixth violation: seven (7) calendar day suspension;
- Ninth violation: seven (7) calendar day suspension;
- Twelve violation: seven (7) calendar day suspension;
- Fifteenth violation: seven (7) calendar day suspension; and
- Eighteenth violation: seven (7) calendar day suspension.
No-Show Appeal Process
Appealing No-Show Penalty Points
Riders wishing to dispute specific no-shows can call Customer Service at (360) 695-8918 during normal business hours. Disputing a no-show must occur within 15 calendar days from the date of the no-show notification. The rider should give an explanation or reason for the no-show to enable staff to make an accurate decision on the retention or reversal of the no show. You will receive written notice of a no-show reversal in the mail.
Appealing a No-Show Suspension
In accordance with the Department of Transportation Americans with Disabilities Act regulations at 49 C.F.R § 37.125(h) allows transit agencies to suspend, for a reasonable period of time, the provision of paratransit service to riders who establish a pattern or practice of missing scheduled trips, also known as no-shows. Below are C-TRAN’s policy and guidelines to submit an appeal:
- Riders wishing to appeal suspension under this policy have the right to file an appeal request. An appeal must be submitted within 60 days of receipt of notification of the no-show suspension. An appeal can be written or typed, including a signature, stating the reason for the appeal or called into C-VAN’s Customer Service department at (360) 695-8918. Written Appeals can be sent to:
C-TRAN ADA Coordinator
10600 Northeast 51st Circle
Vancouver, WA 98682
- A decision on your no-show appeal will be made within 30 days of C-TRAN’s receipt of your no-show appeal request. Once an appeal is received, further investigation will be conducted on the rider’s behalf to ensure the most accurate decision is made.
- C-TRAN will notify customers in writing of the decision.